Followers

Search This Blog

CHECK OUT OUR HORIZONTAL SUSPENSION FLEXIBILITY

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What Does It Take To Get Into A Big Corporation?


"What does it take to get into a big corporation", is what my Mentee Shona asked me, with asperity in her voice. "If I don't have a job by January 2008 I might as well die"! Another person expressed over coffee. This really got me thinking about how to help these young people.

But these thoughts and frustrations don't just belong to the newly Graduated or the soon to be Graduate, but it is also expressed by the job seeker who has recently been laid off , or made the last re-org cut, but "sees the writing on the wall"; or the successful progressive employee whose CEO has convinced them to go to a new startup after 15 years of service and the startup venture goes bust!

As a Professional Recruiter who has spent their entire career in and around corporate fortune 500 and above organizations I have learned a lot. Here are some basic tips to start!

  • Be a change Agent - Don't get stuck in a time warp or afraid of change
  • Know your Strengths and Weaknesses - How can you make an immediate impact and be effective and efficient
  • Be able to articulate with confidence and show relevance in what you know
  • On your resume have the main things recruiters/hiring managers look for:

Overall years of experience in needed discipline or technology

List what you specifically have contributed in projects, programs etc.

Name the type of methodologies, techniques and software or hardware you used to get the job done, and most importantly

  • Fish where the Fish are! You have to participate in events, webinars, networking events, reading of the websites to know the "lingo", the culture, and need of the company.

Maybe I can answer a question or two for you, feel free to reach out and, "ask me how"!

If you agree with me send me an example of how these points worked for you.

If you disagree send me an example of how these points didn't work for you.

If you've tried other avenues tell us how you did it!

Cisco Systems Corporation is a Global Company that has offices all over the world. It's a great time to work for Cisco. They are growing year over year and their Networking Solutons and physical presence is literally being requested all over the world. Do you know what it will take to get a job in Cisco Systems? Have you read the web-site, the blogs?

2 comments:

V said...

Tangil -

I have been poking around your blog and this particular post is jiving with me right now. I am a smart, well educated, experienced and professional about 3 weeks into my job search. And boy some days it can be discouraging. I agree with all your points - and would add one more.

The starting point - where you understand and accept that it is okay to ask for help. Every worker faces times during their career where they are disillusioned, discouraged, and dispassionate.

Being able to acknowledge your dissatisfaction and then using that to push forward some sort of action is the first step. Understanding why you are dissatisfied helps you understand why you need to look for to be satisfied, and once you start to figure that out, it becomes a heck of a lot of easier to pick up the phone and send emails far and wide to articulate what you want.

I find it amazing how much easier my job hunt has become because I am able to ask for exactly the type of help I need.

Thanks!
Vinita

Unknown said...

Thanks V for the feedback! I love the confidence you have in your abilities which is a must when presenting yourself to your perspective employer.


It is also crucial to know what you want as you mentioned. This will be the determining factor or whether you end up with a job or a career.

There is a saying that to pursue a fulltime job is fulltime work! It will consume your time if you have not done the research on your past successes and failures. Thanks for helping me spread the word!